You want to find a nanny, but not just any nanny… you want to find the right nanny. This is someone who will be caring for your children - not just anyone will do!
As a nanny agency we know a thing or two about how to find the right nanny. It’s what we help our clients do every day.
If you are on the hunt for a nanny, here are our top tips so your search is a fruitful one.
Know what you want from your nanny
Any search to find the right nanny starts with a job description. And to write that job description you need to know what you are looking for from your nanny.
Here are just some of the questions you should be able to answer before you start your search:
- How many hours do you want the nanny to work each week? Will they only be working during the week or do you want them to also have weekend availability?
- Will your nanny need to have their own car so they can pick up the kids from school?
- What are the ages of your children and what level of care do they need? Do they have special care needs that require a specialised nanny skillset?
- Are you looking for a nanny to just look after the kids or do you want a nanny housekeeper who can help with cooking, cleaning and chores as well? Our quiz is a good place to start if you are unsure of which household help you need.
- Do you have any other special requirements that a prospective nanny should know about before they apply for the job?
Ask lots of questions
Once you’ve got a shortlist of candidates you need to go through a thorough interview process and ask a lot of questions.
You’ll probably have questions you want to ask that are specific to your own family, but also don’t forget to ask:
- About previous nannying experience and if they’ve cared for children of a similar age to your kids.
- What they are looking for in a nannying position - it’s good to know if this is someone who will stay with you for the long term or if they are simply looking for a stop gap job.
- If they have any other qualifications, skills or interests which might be relevant to the position.
- Which tasks on your list of requirements they will be able to complete and if there are any which they see as problematic.
This is your chance to get to know your potential future nanny. Take the time to find the right nanny and make sure to get to know them!
Do your research
Once you’ve narrowed down your shortlist you need to do some research.
You aren’t going to leave your kids in the care of just anyone so you need to check that they have the relevant nanny background checks and skills to do the job.
At this stage you need to confirm:
- Do they have a police check and working with children check? If they don’t, are they willing to get them?
- Do they have a first aid certificate?
- Can you confirm any relevant qualifications they have completed?
You also need to speak to any references they provide who can speak to their character and past experience. Ideally, you will speak to a reference who has employed them as a nanny so you can ask specific questions about their skills and approach to their work.
Start with a trial session
Once you’ve found your nanny, always start with a trial session. This is what we do at mtime. Once we have matched the nanny - or Moncierge as we call them - to the family, we arrange a trial session to start things off.
A trial session is a good opportunity for you to learn more about each other. It’s really important that you have a good working relationship. You need to work cohesively as a team and a trial session will give you a good indication of how you can work together.
Set clear expectations
When you find the right nanny you want to keep them! To do this you’ll need clear communication, expectations and boundaries.
These will be different for every family so you need to think about what they look like in your particular situation. Consider things like:
- How you will communicate with each other - phone calls, SMS, emails etc.
- The notice you require if your nanny is unavailable for a shift.
- Relaying any family rules to the nanny so she can also uphold these while she is caring for the children.
- Any information pertaining to the children such as allergies or issues they should know about.
Find the right nanny with mtime
You can certainly find the right nanny for your family by following these tips… or you can come to mtime and we can handle the whole process for you.
From understanding your requirements to matching you with a Moncierge who will fit perfectly with your family, we handle the communication, scheduling and administration. And with mtime you are getting so much more than a nanny. Our Moncierges can support you with cooking, cleaning (light housekeeping), chores and childcare.
Sign up to take the first step towards finding the right nanny for your family.